12.30.2009

Bad Reputation



As much as I love a good film, I rarely go the movies. The truth is, most Hollywood films bore me. Films intended for a female audience (chick flicks) tend to be embarrassing to our sex. That being said, I'm dying to see the "The Runaways", because not only is it one of my favorite genres, a biopic, it's a rock biopic about one of the first all girl rock bands. Of course I'm going in with the expectation that the story will play like a glorified "Behind the Music" episode. For some reason the cliché "sex, drugs and rock n' roll” story entices me again and again. Even if “The Runaways” script is mediocre at best, we can still expect a killer wardrobe and soundtrack.

When I heard Kristen Stewart would be playing Joan Jett, I was skeptic. However, after seeing the trailer I can't imagine any other actress who could wear Joan's iconic mullet as well as Kristen.

I watched a few recent performances and interviews with Joan Jett, and she happens to be vibrant as ever. I love female rockers, because they refuse to shrivel up and go into hiding. Like Souxsie, and Chrissie, Joan is in her 50's and can still pull off an all leather-clad ensemble. The photo on the upper left hand corner of my collage is RECENT! Again, it's my theory..stay creative, do what you love, and nature will reward you.

I came across these two great interviews in which Joan spawns the following quotes...

"People say are you a tough girl? I mean can handle myself if I need to, but I don't go around looking for trouble".

"I want a certain sort of fame. When they write the ultimate rock n' roll history book, I want my name to be there, standing for something."

"People always said to me, 'Why don't you dress like a girl? Why don't you wear a dress, wear your hair different or have a lighter image?’..Even if I were still in school I wouldn't have gone to prom, I wouldn’t put on a prom dress for any money. No way! That's like posing nude for me."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgA2TBEBCn4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BA6R15iVGM

I didn't go to prom either. We need more role models like Joan Jett..and every little girl should have Joan Jett Barbie.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

i LOVE joan jett!!! this post is awesome

when i was at the twilight party i was more excited about being next to her then any one else haha

Heather said...

I can't wait for this film. I've been waiting impatiently for what feels like forever for the director, Floria Sigismondi, to move from music videos to films, so I'm trying to keep my expectations from reaching crazy heights. That teaser trailer was fantastic, though I think it made the wait even worse!

Susan said...

I am totally with you on this- American movies can be really boring... this one sounds exciting though!
happy new year to you, darling.
xoxo

crystal said...

She rocks and I cannot wait to see that movie! I love the runaways.

Susu Paris Chic said...

I adore the rocky attitude in this collage! Have a funky New Year's Eve Ash!

Unknown said...

You have such amazing style,
and this is such a greatt post! :-)
Joan Jett = Legend
and i hope you have a great start to 2010!
Panda x

Felicia|DaLipstickBandit said...

they do have joan jett barbies but i think they're collectors items. i love her. she is gorgeous! i think people are afraid of women like her. fearless and unequivocally her. people are still afraid of individuality.

Keith said...

Happy New Year! I hope you've been having a great holiday season. Mine has been wonderful except for my cable modem dying on me. I just did a new post with a big announcement in it. I hope you'll check it out. Thanks. Take care. Have a fantastic holiday weekend. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

whatever happend to the film that was meant to have Kirsten Dunst play Blondie?

Anonymous said...

I am soooo with you! I hate romantic comedies and chick flicks (they are WAY embarrassing) but I cannot wait to see this... and I am not a kirsten stewart fan at all!

stylefrontier said...

cant wait for the movie!

have a great holiday and happy 2010
xoxo

daisychain said...

Wishing you all the best for 2010 xoxox

Alyssa Roman said...

Just wanted to stop by and say Happy 2o1o to you! I so enjoy visiting your blog and thank you for all your support! :)

Alexa et Lisa said...

U'r post is great! I love it!

And new post on my blog! I hope u'll go see!

Bisous Bisous!

Sophia said...

this post is so full of win.
LOVE joan jett.

That Chelsea Girl™ said...

Thanks so much for the New Year wishes!
I am excited to see the Runaways movie, but I've never been a big fan of Kristen Stewart. All she ever does is look emotionally opressed, so hopefully her acting's good.
Anyway, take care and happy new year!

ARANXA. said...

joan jet= FREAKING AWESOME.
your blog=AMAZINGGG.
XX,
http://whitenailpolishandcoffee.blogspot.com/

Susan said...

hey dear, thanks for checking the size of the flats for me! unfortunately, 40 would be too small for me! :(
anyways, I love Closet Fox and will keep on checking in! :))
have a sweet day, xoxo

anna bu said...

yeah she's amazing. she rooooocks :)

bisous
annabu

Belle Armed said...

Joan Jett is amazing, love everything about her.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous darling
love it as always
you have a refreshing blog, keep it up
thanks for sharing

-cma
COSMICaroline.blogspot.com

MrJeffery said...

love the houndstooth.

apparellel said...

okay it's official. i'm in love with your blog!! it is so funny how we (stylish people.haha) are all so connected in a way. i see one blogger sporting an outfit that i wanted to shoot or a trend forecast that i was just wearing that day. wow. anyway the purpose of this novel long comment is one: i love joan, we worked together on a movie and she is the sexiest crazy woman ever and i love her. two: i have been wanting to do a runaways style shoot for a while now and was just thinking. i need to get on that before the movie comes out (i don't think it has yet?) so tonight i shall do a tribute to the runaways. thanks for your inspirations. sorry for the novel.

xxx
t